April 2017 saw the beginning of a project which will see the records of the Humber Ports of the British Transport Docks Board, later known as Associated British Ports, fully catalogued and made available to the public for the first time.
To enable us to catalogue the collection we secured funding from the National Cataloguing Grants Programme for Archives which has enabled us to employ a Project Archivist for 15 months to work on the collection. Such was the volume of material within this collection that work on the project was extended for 6 months, with the help of additional funding until the end of December 2018.
The collection has been divided up into seven sub-collections as follows:
- C DPD/1: Humber Conservancy
- C DPD/2: Hull Docks Company
- C DPD/3: Hull and Barnsley Railway
- C DPD/4: Aire and Calder Navigation
- C DPD/5: Dock Engineering Records
- C DPD/6: Dock Estate Records
- C DPD/7: Commercial Department, Hull: British Transport Docks Board
We are now at the stage of tweaking the final catalogue, which currently stands at over 2,000 pages, and carrying out some final packaging to ensure the records are preserved. This may take some time but we hope to have the full catalogue available as soon as possible.